Welcome to the Mt. Zion A.M.E. Church of Woolwich Township.
The Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church, built in 1834 on Hendrickson Mill Road (now Garwin Road) in the hamlet of Small Gloucester, Woolwich Township (formerly Swedesboro), represents the evolution of African Methodist Episcopal congregations in South Jersey and the pivotal role the church played in the development of the local African-American community.
Inspired by the preaching of Richard Allen, founder of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, the Mount Zion A.M.E. Church incorporated as a Methodist Society in the early 19th century and became a member of the African Methodist Episcopal Church General Convention as part of the Salem Circuit in 1816. The construction of the church building in 1834 marked the growth of the church congregation and the expansion of its efforts to educate the community, promote the suffrage rights of African-Americans, and to provide a social center for the community. The Mount Zion Cemetery, with its earliest marked tombstone dating from 1861, was the first formal cemetery available to the inhabitants of Small Gloucester for the burial of their dead. The Mount Zion A.M.E. Church meets National Register Criterion A in the areas of ethnic heritage (African-American) and religion for the establishment of an African-American Church, reflecting the evolution of independent worship in the African-American culture and the social role of the Church in the local community.
Our Service HoursPlease Join us on Sundays at 11AM.
Our LocationCome visit our historical church at
172 Garwin Road
Woolwich Township, New Jersey
Our HistoryLearn about the history behind the Mt Zion Church.